REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A REGISTERED ARCHITECT IN UGANDA
Please visit our downloads page for more information.
I HAVE A DIPLOMA OR OTHER QUALIFICATION(S)
If you are a diploma holder in architecture or have qualified in any architecture course and still wish to become a registered architect, please contact the Uganda Society of Architects for guidance on how to proceed. Also, it is advisable that if you intend to pursue the path of becoming a registered architect in Uganda that you contact the board or Uganda Society of Architects before undertaking an architectural course for some guidance and information.
INSTITUTIONS OFFERING ARCHITECTURAL COURSES IN UGANDA
- Makerere University (Bsc- Architecture)
- Kyambogo University (Bsc- Architecture)
- Uganda Technical College- Lira (Diploma-National Diploma in Architecture)
- Uganda Technical College-Elgon - Mbale (Diploma-National Diploma in Architecture)
Please note that this list of institutions is only informational for those seeking to study architectural courses in Uganda. Not all these courses will qualify one for registration by the board. In order for one to become a registered architect one needs to be a holder of a degree or diploma awarded by a university or other institution recognized for the time being by the board.
PRACTICAL TRAINING REQUIREMENTS AND PROFESSIONAL EXAMS
After graduating from a higher institution of learning in architecture, the path to becoming a registered architect in Uganda begins at the Uganda Society of Architects before one finally gets registered by the board. Please contact the Uganda Society Architect for more information on how to start the journey including internship, training, professional exams, filling out log books, etc. It's only upon completing ALL the requirements (with proof) at this stage that one can approach the board to get registered as an architect in Uganda.
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS BY ARB FOR GRADUATE ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS
According the S. 10 and S.12 of the Architects Registration Act Cap 269, one is eligible for registration upon the fulfillment of these requirements below;
- He or she must be a corporate member of the society or a corporate architect by whatever name called recognized for the time being by the board as furnishing sufficient guarantee of academic knowledge of any practical experience in architecture;
- He or she is a holder of a degree or diploma awarded by a university or other institution recognized for the time being by the board, and has had not less than two years’ practical experience and has passed the professional examination conducted by the board
- He or she has satisfied the board that he or she possesses qualifications which furnish a sufficient guarantee of the possession of the requisite knowledge and skill for the efficient practice as an architect.
- In line with these, please furnish the Board with these during the registration
- Copy of Corporate Membership Letter from the Uganda Society of Architects
- Filled out Registration Application Form (in duplicate) with all the required signatures and stamps as indicated on the form.
- Copies of certified academic qualification documents
- If you graduated from an institution outside Uganda, you have to provide a Letter of Equivalence of your academic qualifications/certificates from the National Council of Higher Education
- Copy of valid passport or National ID
- Color passport size photo(On each of the two forms)
- Copy of payment slip/receipt of ARB registration fees amounting to the equivalent of two hundred thousand Uganda shillings (200,000/=) only and application form fee of ten thousand Uganda shillings (10,000/=) only.
- Copy of payment slip/receipt for the Uganda Society of Architects Corporate Membership fees
Your final registration is subject to approval by the ARB Board and additional requirements may be requested.